Friday, April 18, 2014

Birdlog #9 - 4-18-14: Spring migration, lists, lists, lists

I woke up this morning, and guess what my first thought was? Where's my new Peterson?! That's a sign that I'm obsessed (if you couldn't tell already). So before I even had breakfast (I still haven't) I went and birded outside for about an hour. I can tell spring migration is at its peak, because I saw warblers (I never see them except migration)! Here's my list:

  1. Canada Goose (heard only)
  2. Turkey Vulture
  3. Northern Flicker (heard only)
  4. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
  5. American Crow
  6. Black-capped Chickadee
  7. Carolina Chickadee (possible, identified by call)
  8. American Robin
  9. Bell's Vireo (a lifer!)
  10. Yellow-rumped Warbler
  11. Pine Warbler (a lifer!)
  12. Chipping Sparrow
  13. White-throated Sparrow
  14. Dark-eyed Junco
  15. Rose-breasted Grosbeak (possible)
  16. Northern Cardinal
  17. Common Grackle
  18. Brown-headed Cowbird
  19. American Goldfinch
  20. House Sparrow
I have no idea how many of each species I saw, so I didn't include those numbers. And I didn't get photos of the warblers or vireos, but I must've gotten five feet away from the Pine Warbler! I learned that they like bugs, and they'll glean in the trees or forage on the ground. But it was so exciting because the Pine Warbler and possible that Bell's Vireo were lifers for me.

End.

P.S. The species in bold were new ones this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment